Damn You Dementia Prt B

We got to my Sister’s house and I met uncles and aunties seated, folding hands……..

I greeted them while wondering how strange it is to have them all at 7am that early in the morning with pitiful looks on their faces.

Regardless, I hugged my elder sister and asked after her health, she keeps complaining of pains on her legs since forever. It was then my in-law cleared his throat to draw our attention, he said he was called from owerri that chief had another seizure and they don’t know his status now if he is dead or alive, but I could sense some dishonesty in his words.

 I cut him short and I told him with confidence that he is not dying anytime soon, my Papito would fight through it all for my sake, for the sake of those he loved. Then my in-law looked at me with a sad look  in his eyes telling me that what he was trying  to say is that God gives and God takes , my Papito was gone and there is nothing we can do about it ……..



As he spoke,  I remember some people started crying and I was cold, numb and shut out of the world oblivious to what was happening around me, and all I could do was become disappointed in myself, what kept on repeating in my head was ‘I am guitly’, ‘you failed him’….I heard someone ask me if I was  ok, encouraging me to let out the tears to feel better. I cried a little but the overall feeling of being dumbfounded I could not shake off.

The next morning we landed Owerri and I knew I had to be strong for my mum. The sight of my mum broke my heart into tiny pieces, I held her in my arms and I kept reassuring her that all will be well and she should not cry as I am here. I could not cry. She went on lamenting on who will be there for all her complaints and rants to listen to her complain or fight for her,( a part of me now remembered how mum and dad will yab each other or argue like there will be war 3 and yet if you keep them apart  they keep missing themselves).


My brother drove me to the mortuary, I needed to see my papito to confirm this is real. I passed through many corpses before I saw him. I saw him laying there cold and dead. All I was able to mutter was ‘I am sorry papito, I came home late’. A look at his face assured me he is at peace and in a better place but I wished I was there for him.i wished he was in coma and waited for me to come, I am sure my prayers and talking to him would have woken him up, but I could not question the will of God and I resolved to accept this and be strong, I knew he would have wanted to see my strength and not weakness in this time.

I hope this my story inspires you to call your parents frequently or daily, we are so engrossed in our own personal growth and pursuit that we get carried away that they are getting old and closer to their graves. Make use of the time to build memories, as when they leave you, that is all you are left with.


Sleep Well Papito. I will forever miss our lovely moments together but thank you for the pricelss memories we created together. Your going to be proud of the daughter you gave birth to as I promise to make you proud, I know you are fine in heaven and watching over me from there. You are now my angel papito. Sleep well





kisses.
Bye
Damn You Dementia Prt B Damn You Dementia Prt B Reviewed by anurikanwoke.blogspot on 06:54 Rating: 5

1 comment:

Ads

Powered by Blogger.