My Maiduguri Experience

As soon as I found out I was going on a trip to Maiduguri on official assignment, at first as a born adventurist and agaba of life, I was uber excited but then I remembered the Insurgencies I have read on the newspaper in that state fear catch me. 

As I sat on the plane, fear was mixed with excitement of discovering and exploring new state. I met this handsome dude sitting next to me, he noticed i was nervous, thankfully he is not married so we kicked off interesting conversation which kept my mind busy and distracted from the  AK47 i was already imagining being held to my head and then the news caption on Daily Newspaper that would say '' Anurika missing in Maiduguri'' LMAO ewo!. Ehen so in 5 minutes I got him to spill his name, village, occupation, best food, best kini, this one that one, he is a Pilot kikikiki so he told me, what to expect in Maiduguri is maybe the very hot weather which could be up to 42 degrees. Did we exchange numbers??? Do the maths.

As we landed, much to my amazement, I was embraced by warm people, Maiduguri is fine oh chei. I took note of the street lights, the good road network, the affordability of things there and the warmness of the people. The men are very respectful to the women and the girls are respectful and hardworking. The town is pretty much developed unlike what I imagined it to be and safe to travel about tho there were a lot of military check points for obvious reasons (sigh).  

The hotels i lodged in were Prime Lodge & Apartment and Satus Hotel and it was so beautiful, the service was on point much to my expectations. their hotel attendants attended to me so well and were professional. I recommend them for you just in case you find yourself in that part of the state, their security is top notch, i slept like a baby!!. 


In Maiduguri, they have beautiful houses ( i was expecting to see mud houses and lanterns), super markets (I bought my Cantu hair products cheap unlike Abuja!), clubs and delicious food among many others. I was given the royal welcome with different hausa dishes from Masa to their traditional soup, pepper soup, roasted ram,chicken suya, fura de nunu blablabla I did not understand the combination at first but the sweetness of the mixture of Masa and the soup in my mouth made me moan with joy. Food is life nne.

I sure made a lot of friends, trust me plus plenty Alhajis that kept worrying me to marry me ‘fine nyarinya’ and I told them I will marry all of them kikikiki. The state is pretty organized and modest. They have beautiful markets where you can buy all kinds of beautiful things thankfully the weather allowed me to waka waka about and oh! It rained too so the weather gave me joy chei.

But What I noticed that was striking about Maiduguri was that they didn’t have Bars or joints where you can purchase alcohol. Selling of alcohol is illegal there. I imagined that law in Onitcha, my igbo brothers there will form their own ''Fulani Herdsmen'' cabal call it ''Angry Liquor Men''. Alcohol is sold in only two or more  licensed places which we drove to, about 45 minutes drive from my hotel in search of vodka to calm my spirit from stress of work (you go fear ultimate search na). I really enjoyed my stay in Maiduguri

I do really wish to come back again to visit this lovely place.
I learnt a couple of hausa words such as ‘ina sunki’ meaning I love you, ‘magana magana’ meaning talk talk (rolling eyes) and lots more. Am home and safe.


Kisses!
Bye!!
My Maiduguri Experience My Maiduguri Experience Reviewed by anurikanwoke.blogspot on 09:38 Rating: 5

7 comments:

Ads

Powered by Blogger.